Quote of the Week

Quote of the Week - "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" Dr Seuss




Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Review of Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins

Hex Hall
By Rachel Hawkins
Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1)

            Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It’s gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been supportive as possible, consulting Sophie’s estranged father – an elusive European warlock – only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom night spell gone horribly wrong, it’s her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.
            By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.
            As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all prodigium, especially her.

I am not sure what I was expecting from this book but I must say this was not it! I loved this book! Sometimes YA books can make the area of magic look so juvenile and immature to read. All trying to keep up with Harry Potter and usually try so hard that they fall pretty flat. Not Rachel Hawkins. For a first time author she was amazing. Nothing against first time authors but you can generally see it in their writing. James Dashner’s (one of my favorites) books didn’t come out in print in the order he wrote them and it is noticeable. He improves each time. That being said I hurriedly got online tonight and ordered the second book, Demonglass, so that I can read it right away! I can’t wait to see what Ms. Hawkins comes up with in the next in this series.

I love the MC Sophie. She is such a real teenager that she is very believable in this role. She falls in love and meets heartache. I love a good love story especially when it’s their first love. However, I don’t always like it when the book is focused solely on that alone. This is more than just a love story. It is also about finding oneself amidst challenges in teenage life.  Sophie has such depth to her for a teenager. The author gives you enough history and detail to Sophie that you love her. She is awkward and quirky and very funny in a dry humor sort of way. Sophie is the girl that you want for your best friend.

I give this book 4 stars. If you love a fun, clean, story filled with magic, drama, and mystery you will love the Hex Hall series.

1 comment:

Karyn said...

Did Dashner write 13th reality after Maze Runner? I might have to try them someday. Someone else told me they were really funny. So I hoped they showed a little more of his personality. I'll also have to try this series!