Quote of the Week

Quote of the Week - "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" Dr Seuss




Wednesday, March 9, 2011

A Midsummer's Night Dream

A Midsummer's Night Dream - William Shakespeare
A Midsummer Night's Dream

So I am not going to review this book like a traditional book review. Why? Well because it is William Shakespeare!  How do you review and critique such a legend, a master of the written word? Simple - you can't; you don't. OK well I can't and I won't.

This I will say though: absolutely fabulous!  This is my first time reading Shakespeare. Yes, I know and I call myself a reader. Please forgive me and overlook this flaw of mine, but I was so intimidated by him. I am never afraid of a book especially large books. I love thick, heavy books because I know there must be a great and long fascinating story inside those covers just beckoning me to join them in their adventures. But Shakespeare terrified me. Now that I have read it I am not sure why. I understood every word he said and the story was beautiful. I guess I should say play. I love plays. I love the theater. I love the complete experience of the theater. Since this was written just like a screenplay you can interpret and see in your mind the whole sequence of events - enter Oberon or Hermia lies down and sleeps. It was completely fascinating.

So if you haven't read Shakespeare then you must! Don't rush through it either. I myself am a very fast reader, partly because I can't get enough and I just have to know what happens next! Shakespeare is meant to be savored, inhaled like a sweet perfume. If you do then you will enjoy it and understand the romanticism he evokes with his works.  So welcome Shakespeare into your realm and you will not be disappointed.

~Melissa

1 comment:

Karyn said...

I remember reading this and really liking it in high school. It's hard for me to interpret everything that's happening in his stories with my ADD, but I agree that the mood he conjures up is palpable. Maybe I'll try it again sometime.