Quote of the Week

Quote of the Week - "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind" Dr Seuss




Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Review of Diary of a Teenage Girl by Melody Carlson

Diary of a Teenage Girl
Becoming Me
Becoming Me (Diary of a Teenage Girl: Caitlin, #1)
By Melody Carlson

January 1, 2000 10 p.m. – “I used to think that being fifteen was bad…well, let me tell you, being sixteen isn’t exactly a walk through the mall either. And so far, I think today’s been about the worst day of my entire life…”

Follow Caitlin O’Conner, a girl much like yourself, as she makes her way from New Year’s to the first day of summer – surviving a challenging home life, changing friends, school pressures, an identity crisis, and the uncertainties of “true love.”

You’ll cry with Caitlin as she experiences heartaches, and cheer for her as she encounters a new reality in her life: God. See how rejection by one group can – incredibly – sometimes lead you to discover who you really are…

I have read Melody Carlson before so when I had the opportunity to read this book I immediately said yes. This was originally published in 2000, so it is not a new book and there are several Diary of a Teenage Girl books out – Caitlin, Chloe, Kim, & Mya. They each have about four in their series. I have to say that I wasn’t sure what to expect since it is written by an adult playing a teenager. Sometimes adults can really miss the mark on the realities of teenage life even though we have already lived those years. Why authors cannot get it right is strange to me. They either go overboard or just stop shy of hitting it right on.

Well Ms. Carlson is the exception and hit it right on the mark! I have a 17 year old daughter right now so I live these realities everyday at home. Caitlin, Beanie, Jenny, Josh, or Zach could easily be one of my daughter’s friends or my daughter herself. The things they discuss as friends and with the diary is exactly what happens to every teenager. Maybe being a mom of a teenager right now is one of the reasons I really loved this book. I couldn’t help but picture my daughter and her friends as these characters. I could actually replace their names with those in the book. It really hit home with me. It made me glad I had to never live those years again myself but also more aware of the teenagers I have in my home daily.

I will give this book 4 stars. It is a great read about a young girl that struggles with life and all of the issues that come her way. She works to find herself in the midst of the pressures of family, school, and growing up.

Thank you to Glass Road Public Relations to re-introducing us to this great series.

~Melissa

No comments: